Monday, January 30, 2012

Photos Photos Photos: How Do You Organize Them?

Photo taking, printing and organizing has changed a lot in the last decade.

Remember dropping a roll of film off at the local drug store? You'd pick your pictures up in a few days, not really knowing what you'd find when you opened the little envelope. Would the pictures be any good? Would they be blurry? Would everyone's head be cut off at the top? What if there was a picture where you looked absolutely horrid? You couldn't delete it! You just had to hope no one else saw it before you had a chance to throw it out.

If you were like me, you probably ordered double prints from the start. If there was a good picture or two in there, you wanted to have a spare. If you needed more copies, you always had the negatives to use for reprints. You just had to remember not to get your fingerprints all over them!

I still have envelopes of pictures left over from our pre-digital camera days. All of my oldest son's baby pictures are old school. I should really scan them and get them into a digital format.

Digital cameras make it easier to do things like filling picture collage frames. I need to take two pictures the long way in order to get pictures that fit in this one. I can click as many photos as I need to until I get good ones to fill the empty spots.

How do you organize your photos?

I still like to have actual physical photo albums. I print a decent selection of our pictures throughout the year and slide them into the little plastic sleeves. It's fun for the boys and I to look through the photos to see how they've grown and changed through the years.

Most of my pictures, however, stay in digital format. Right now, I don't have a great system of digital organization. Well, I have an idea of what I need to do. I just need to do it. My husband gave me an external hard drive to save back ups of all our photos. I need to transfer everything over. Current pictures reside on my computer or on one of three SD cards I use for my camera.

I know people who've gone all digital and print very few photos. I just can't do that. It seems so easy for things to get wiped out digitally. Doesn't it? 

3 comments:

  1. I was just pondering this the other day!
    I used to have spurts of being organized with printed out photos, but being a perfectionist (sigh) it was very much all or nothing.
    I think the digital age has definately changed how and when and how often I take photos, but I don't do so much printing out anymore, unless it's for an enlargement for my wall or to put into a photo book.
    I agree with you about the fear of losing them all- but that's why we have a backup hard-drive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to post a blog about the same thing. I organize my photos now all in DVR disk. From New Year to New year's eve, I will save the photo in a disk and videos as well thats why a DVR is useful. Anything I took from year 2011 (for example) all will be in one disk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne - I have so many more photos now than I ever did. I really need to back everything up soon!

    Camille- I LOVE the idea of using DVR disks! Do you make 2 copies of each year? Sounds organized and they don't take up much space.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!