Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book Review: Diary of a Mad Fat Girl

If I had to describe Stephanie McAfee's Diary of a Mad Fat Girl in one word, I would pick the word "fun".

From start to finish, McAfee's novel is as fun as a day at the amusement park and that's not even the best part.

The best is the characters are so totally relatable. I recognized myself, as well as people I know, in each of the characters. I could feel Ace's discomfort as she walked through the gym, past the Barbie Doll exercisers, to get to the equipment in the back. Who hasn't walked into a gym and felt out of place? I was right there with her when she was looking in her closet, trying to find something or rather, anything, acceptable to wear to Gloria Peacock's mansion. Who couldn't relate to Ace and Lilly trying to save Chloe from her abusive husband? Most us have, at one time or another, tried to help a friend get out of a bad situation.

Ace reflects all of our little insecurities and makes us feel right at home with her and her group of friends. I couldn't help but root for her. She's the kind of woman we all wish we had for a best friend.

It's easy to see why the entertaining Diary of a Mad Fat Girl became the success story that it is. McAfee self-published the novel as an e-book in December 2010. My the end of March 2011, the book showed up on the NY Times Bestseller list. Soon after, Penguin Publishing decided to add it to their print line-up. That's a dream come true for self-published authors. Kudos to McAfee for writing a novel that more than deserves the attention it's getting.

You can follow the discussion on Diary of a Mad Fat Girl at the BlogHer book club.

This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!