Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cleaning Up the Clutter: Bringing More Rainbows to the World

Who doesn't love rainbows? That's why, when I saw a few pictures on Pinterest of people organizing their books by color, I knew I had to do it. Sure, it's frivolous and possibly a colossal waste of time, but it was fun and makes me smile when I look at it.

Anyway, my bookcase was due for a good reorganization project. I've never gone so far as to alphabetize my books, but I have put them in size and genre order before. Unfortunately, order had long since fallen by the wayside since the last bookcase reorganization project was some time ago. I've been cramming books, magazines and other things on the shelves like a drunken sailor for the better part of a year.

Here's what I started with:


After stripping the shelves of everything, wiping away a coating of dust that had been there so long I should have charged it rent and putting some magazines in the recycling basket, I sorted my books by color. It seems I have lots of black-spined books, quite a few yellow and a smattering of all the other colors. What I really need is more indigo books in my life. Perhaps I'll start buying books based on the color of their spine. Not really.

Here's the end result:
Kind of cool, right? Or dorky. You decide. Do you see how I put the knick-knacks with their appropriate colored books? I just made the case for dorky right there, didn't I?

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it...And by the way, I embrace my dorky-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fine. But I am the real dork. What is Pinterest?

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with being a dork, Lisa!

    Carol - Pinterest is the most wonderful thing - lol. Go to Pinterest.com. It's an on-line book marking site that's like an e- bulletin board. If you want an invitation to it, just send me an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a librarian, I've been asked to find books by color, but never to shelve them that way. Your arrangement is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!