Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to Attract Rodents to Your House and Take Their Picture

Perhaps a spoonful of peanut butter left on the dryer over night will do it.
I must talk to those boys...

In other news, the photography class has been excellent. I bought a new camera using the money I'd saved to buy a new laptop. But, you know, all the cool kids have a DSLR, so I wanted one, too. I've learned just enough in class to make me want to have something other than the little point and shoot that's been my standard camera since I upgraded from a 110 around the turn of the century. Remember the sticks of flash you had to buy for those things?

Last night, we learned about lighting and practiced some more Photoshop techniques.

I was inspired today to set up a makeshift photo studio in my kitchen and snap some pictures of an odd arrangement of a plant, a dried flower and a picture of my husband and I in our early days as a couple.
Clearly, I need more practice with both composition and lighting. Several years worth of practice with photography in general wouldn't hurt either. 

I give the teacher kudos for creating a well-rounded photography class. If you live in the area and have an interest in photography, but not much knowledge, this class is a good starting point. In addition to all the digital camera ins and outs, photo composition and Photoshop stuff, he's been introducing us to the work of groundbreaking and famous photographers, both present day and from the early days of photography. Last night's famous photographer was Arnold Newman. He was truly a master.

Rest assured, I won't really be taking pictures of rodents in my house, even if I do know where to put the light. Thankfully our two cats are as good at hunting mice as Ansel Adams was at landscape pictures.

Doesn't he look fierce? Maybe he's the one that left the peanut butter on the dryer. Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. Oooo...a new camera! What did you get!?
    It took me a VERY long time before I made the jump to digital photos. I still enjoy my 35mm SLR, but I got a DSLR for christmas a few years ago. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Canon Rebel T2i. I'm loving it so far, though I'm still a bit afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!