Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fact Check: Cleaning Up Political Rhetoric

I surfed onto Facebook today to find this picture at the top of my feed.
Photo courtesy of Sodahead.
The caption said, "What is wrong with this PICTURE!! Don't leave the answer if you figure it out...just share the picture and keep it moving!!!"

Bad punctuation in the caption aside, there's a lot wrong with this picture. The first being that it's Photoshopped and people are passing it around as a way to discredit President Obama and his wife.

There are two things that really trouble me here.
  • The Photoshop pro who thinks it's okay to alter photos and pass them off as legitimate as a way to discredit the President. He/she is blatantly lying and thinks it's perfectly okay. Why? No matter what their politics are or what moral high ground they pretend they are walking on, how can they justify lying in this situation?
  • The people who mindlessly feel disgusted at the Obamas and hit "share" so the fraudulent image can be spread even further around the Internet. I've seen educated people re-post this photo and others like it. There seems to be a group of people in our country who despise Democrats, liberals and President Obama so much they turn off their sense of reason and critical thinking skills.
A simple search on Snopes.com proves the photo is a fake. If that isn't enough to convince some of the more vehement anti-reason folks, then this photo slide show of Michelle Obama's hairstyles will show that she is rather consistent with parting her hair over her left eye when she is not wearing it all pulled back.

Really, the national political rhetoric has gotten quite out of hand. People are doing and saying utterly ridiculous things to discredit the other side. It's time common sense ruled the day again. Before you hit "share" or send on that inflammatory, chain e-mail, do some quick fact checking. If you're not 100% sure something is fact, don't send it on. Don't help the crazies with their cause.

If you don't like President Obama, that's fine. But, find a real reason not to like him. Maybe do a little research. Share that with people. Then, you'll be adding something intelligent to the conversation instead of being a puppet.

It makes some of us wonder who the puppet master is.

8 comments:

  1. Very well stated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen this yet, but if I do, I'll make sure I enter an appropriate comment. Thanks for the post. I'm so tired of all these attack ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for a while in my RSS feeder. Today, right underneath this post, was a giant ad that said "Obama won't protect the unborn. Will you? Sign a petition to bypass Roe v Wade."

    Is there any way that you can control the ads that go into your RSS feed? I was just....I dunno, perturbed that that particular ad showed up at the bottom of this post.

    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana - I'm trying to find out if there's a way to control the ads. I don't think there is. I think they're generated by the keywords in the article. Unfortunately the keyword "Obama" must trigger that particular ad. I'm perturbed it's there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have figured it out! I can block certain ad content based on categories. I just blocked all political ads. Hopefully that will take care of it from here on out.

    Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Dana. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Dana - I saw that ad on another article, too, and the first thing that went through my mind is exactly what Barb was talking about in this post. That ad is for people who don't know how the Democratic process works. A petition, no matter how many signatures are on it, can't overturn a Supreme Court ruling. The only thing that can is another Supreme Court ruling, and considering that Roe v Wade was ruled at a time when the country was a LOT more conservative than it is now, I strongly doubt it'll be overturned anytime before the 2nd of Never.

    - Demosthenes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!