Thursday, April 19, 2012

Organizing Tip of the Week: When is Homework Done?

This organizing tip is for all moms and their organizationally-challenged youth. It's become the new homework mantra in my house.

Want to see grades like this? 
Homework isn't done until it's in the binder (or folder, notebook or whatever your child uses to take from class to class every day).

I wrote Is It Possible to Have an Organized 7th-Grade Boy about a month ago. Since then, my 7th grader and I have worked hard on getting him organized enough to bring his grades up, keep him from losing things and help him feel like he's in control of his school work again. The key is to teach him to organize, not do it for him.

One of his problems before was he'd finish his homework and promptly lose it. A lot of it was crammed in his locker and wasn't making it to class to be handed in on time.

Now, as soon as he finishes his homework, I ask, "Is it in your binder?" It seems so simple, but for disorganized kids, it's HUGE!

This tip is from the book That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and in Life by Ana Homayoun. It's a must-read book for moms of boys who are having trouble getting and staying organized. Not only is it full of practical, truly helpful tips, but it's reassuring and explains why boys in the middle school years have the troubles they do. I read it as a library book, but I'm going to buy a copy. It's the kind of book I know I'll refer to again and again.

4 comments:

  1. As a 7th grade teacher, I see so many of my boys with the same issues. I'm going to buy this book to share with parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a good investment for a 7th grade teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organizing starts at home. I live for organization. It makes life run a lot smoother. When I have clutter, I feel as if I cannot accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book really seems interesting and useful and worth buying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!