Thursday, May 24, 2012

Highlights & Lowlights

Just like that, it feels like summer. The great outdoors and, more importantly, the yard work, has been calling, hence my scarcity 'round these parts.

Here's what's been keeping me from my blogging duties:

Highlight - Our family took a weekend trip to Lake Placid last week and stayed in a lovely house courtesy of my husband's boss (Thank you, Sam!). The boys and I hiked around the Adirondacks, including a visit to High Falls Gorge, where I was irrationally afraid my four-year-old was going to tumble into the rocky falls. Fortunately, we made it through safely, possibly because I had a death grip on his arm. Though they had high barriers blocking anyone from going over the edge, you couldn't pry my hand off with a crowbar. Motherhood isn't always logical.
Adirondack Red Trillium
Lowlight - My husband had to work at a wrestling tournament for the entire weekend. That was the reason for our trip. We really didn't get to spend much time with him. Worse yet, they had a huge wireless network failure on the first day of the tournament, which wasn't a good thing for their score keeping program. While we were keeping cool on woodsy hiking trails, he was sweating and swearing in the Olympic Center.

Highlight - I've been giving my little netbook a workout by writing more for Holidays Central. It's been a good computer. I've had it for a few years, so in computer years, it's like 100. The poor thing has been through a lot. It recovered from the great toddler keyboard disaster of 2010, in which my then toddler pulled off several of the keys, leaving me to type awkwardly on little stubs. Then, we suffered together through the stomach virus of 2011, in which my then six-year-old son vomited on both of us. My handy husband thought it was time to replace the keyboard after that, so I was back in business with all the letters of the alphabet present and accounted for.

Lowlight - Yesterday, I foolishly left my netbook on the floor next to the couch. This is a bad habit I've cultivated over the years. My four year old was playing around on the arm of the couch and promptly fell off, shattering the netbook screen. Handy husband once again saved the day by hooking the netbook up to our TV so I can still have access to the hard drive. It's a temporary measure, but it's working for now.

Highlight - I ordered groceries from a local grocery store that delivers. Can you believe that? Grocery deliveries in 2012? It seems so 1950s. I don't mind this kind of jump back in time. Like I said, I had yard work to do this week and lots of it. The last thing I wanted to do was interrupt my mowing and weeding. I had a nice flow going. It's hard to get back into it once you have to stop for something as mundane as a trip to the grocery store.

Lowlight - I just can't think of one here. The yard work is done for now and my groceries are getting delivered tomorrow. It's a win-win.

Life is pretty sweet most of the time.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, well, life is awesome in the summer :)

    And sorry if I'm bugging you, but why do you have a Honda advert on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the Honda ad, but the ads are from either BlogHer or Google, so I don't pick. I do opt out of some, like political and junk food ads, but other than that, it's what they generate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!