Saturday, June 9, 2012

Banner Under Construction

Bear with me while I replace the banner at the top of my page. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. As a matter of fact, the one I had was supposed to be a temporary solution. It ended up being there for quite some time.

I've searched around for free banners that would work, but the Blogger template doesn't really leave any room for creativity. By creativity, I mean I'd just like to change the font size, color and placement of the text over the background. It seems it can't be done from this end.

My only alternative is to make my own banner using Photoshop Elements. I found some great directions at Overstuffed. I'm going to give it a whirl as soon as I have a few hours to sit down and play. This is a bit outside my range of technological skills, but I think I can do it.

If you have some banner making tips, advice or links you'd like to share for free backgrounds, please do!

Update: I found directions to make a banner using Powerpoint at Easy Custom Blogs.  Since I'm somewhat familiar with Powerpoint, I thought I'd give this a go. I downloaded a picture from Morguefile, my favorite stock photo site.

Update 2: Yay! I have a new banner, with a couple of problems.

I can't figure out why the picture doesn't extend to the end of the banner frame. Is that typical for Blogger blogs? I think my old banner was like that, too. I always wondered why, but never tried to figure out how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Is it readable? I want to make sure my text is easy to read.  Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Not there yet, but you will get there. What about photos of neatness and of clutter at both ends so that the lettering is in the middle.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have to have a banner? Photo instead? On blogger on my blog I put the title under the whole photo. You could also have a whole new element under there not connected to the photo or banner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about a related photo, but I'm just not sure my photography skills are up to snuff. I like a simple banner. I've seen some really elaborate ones on various blogs. While they seem to fit the blogs they're on, they aren't my style. I'll play around with the title under the photo. Maybe I can find a related stock photo somewhere. This is the kind of thing I'm no good at. I know it's important to have a decent banner on top, but it's a pain in the rear and not fun at all for me to work on it. That's probably why I never really embraced scrapbooking - lol! I'll play with it again next weekend. I probably won't have time this week unless inspiration strikes me at some point. Thanks, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that my tutorial helped you make a new banner.

    If you want to get rid of the grid lines that blogger has, that's fairly easy. You just have to go into your html and find the #header-wrapper and #header. After each of these spots change the border to 0px. Right now it's probably at 1 or 2px.

    If you want your banner to be longer, then you'll have to change the width in PSE. I have always just played with it until I come up with a size I like. Remember that it's not the same size on your blog as it is on the PSE screen either.

    Good luck! If you'd like more help, you can reply to this comment in your email and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!