Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lemonade Drink Mix in the Dishwasher?

I had to try it. It's important to separate fact from fiction, after all. Anyway, we're always up for a good science experiment around here.
I've used Lemi-Shine to get my dishes sparkling clean in the dishwasher for awhile. The only place I can find it locally is Walmart. That's not always convenient. I don't want to go there anymore than I have to. It's not a 'run in and get something quick' kind of store. Plus, at $3.66 for a 12-ounce bottle, the Lemi-Shine is on the pricey side.

After being without Lemi-Shine for about a week, my dishes have been looking quite gross. They're sporting a chalky residue and need to be rinsed by hand . They simply don't rinse clean in the dishwasher with our hard water.

Rumor has it, lemonade drink mix will work just as well as Lemi-Shine. I picked some up at Hannaford a few days ago. It cost $2.99 for a 19-ounce bottle, so it's a bit of a cost savings.

I put a generous amount in the dishwasher with my regular detergent and a rinse-aide compartment full of white vinegar. It worked. The chalky residue is gone. The glasses sparkle. The utensils are clean. The boys are no longer refusing to eat off the dishes, though they are vowing to never drink lemonade made from powdered drink mix again.

This science experiment was a success in more than one way. 



2 comments:

  1. You mean there are science experients when school is not in session--science in the real world! Love it!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, school IS still in session here, at least until tomorrow. I think we go to school longer than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!