Monday, June 11, 2012

Tip of the Week: Homemade LCD Screen Cleaner

I don't know about you, but I have always approached our LCD screens with caution. You can't clean them the way you could an old-fashioned TV screen. That means no window cleaner and you need to be careful with the type of rag you use.

You can buy special LCD cleaning solution, but who wants to shell out big bucks for something you can easily make at home?

Photo courtesy of Mzacha at Morguefile.

Because of the special nature of LCD screens, I was a bit hesitant when I found a recipe for a homemade  cleaner. I didn't want to use anything that was going to damage or scratch any of our screens. Luckily, my husband is a technology maven, so I checked with him before I put anything on our pricey electronics. He put his seal of approval on this How to Clean Stuff tutorial, with a couple of modifications.

Greg's Tips for Cleaning an LCD Screen

1. For light cleaning, simply wipe with a soft cloth. Never use paper or scratchy cloth. Both will likely scratch the screen. 

2. If a little more cleaning power is needed, mix equal parts distilled water and white vinegar in a jar. Using distilled water is important because it won't leave any residue on the screen like hard water might. 

3. Dip the rag in the mixture, wring out excess moisture and gently wipe the screen. Avoid spray bottles which can get moisture inside expensive electronic components.

4. Use gentle pressure. Pressing hard may damage the pixels.

It's that simple. I cleaned our screens the other day. The LCD cleaning solution removed all the greasy fingerprints, dried fast and didn't leave any residue behind.  (I know there shouldn't be greasy fingerprints on our screens, but we've got a few little guys. It happens.)

I'm storing a jar of homemade LCD cleaner with our other cleaning supplies for future use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!