Sunday, July 8, 2012

Over the Mountains & Through the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go

Last week, I finally put my sewing machine to work and spent two days making a shower curtain and matching window curtains for the bathroom. I'll have a post up soon about it with links to the wonderful blog that has very easy directions. I'm thrilled with the results and just can't get over how good the bathroom looks now. Such a change from last year!

Over the weekend, two of my boys and I went on a road trip to visit my mom. She lives five hours away, so we don't get to see her as often as we would like. It's just far enough that it's not a practical day trip. Still, we had a great time and lots of well-earned rest and relaxation.

My mom is an avid flower gardener. My oldest son and I snapped some photos of a few of our favorites. (I'm so glad I took that photography class last winter! The flower pictures are all taken in portrait mode to get that sharp focus on the flower with an unfocused background.)   
Mom has three, stunning beds of bee balm. She plans to move them around a bit so she has one, larger bed next year. 

Classic day lilies are everywhere in her yard!

A honey bee was helping himself to some pollen. I'm not sure what this flower is, but I know it was a transplant from my grandfather's yard several years ago.

A sea of bachelor's buttons graced one corner of the yard.
Though we had a great time, I'm glad to be home. I'm gearing up for lots of blogging and writing work this week, plus hope to move along on painting the downstairs family room. What are your summer projects?

1 comment:

  1. Have more time this summer for organizing and decluttering. Part of the reason I love your blog is you write eloquently about the topics that I need.

    But family always trumps work.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!