Monday, July 23, 2012

That Mid-Summer Funk

Blogging is a great tool for looking back over the past year or two and seeing patterns that emerge in my life.

It seems I get the opposite of the winter blues. I get a mid-summer funk every year that's a bit hard to shake.

Last year, I drowned my boredom and monotony in a Mad Men marathon on Netflix (50-something episodes in about 2 weeks). I'm not proud, but it happened. While I haven't sunk that far yet this summer, I'm still having motivation issues. I'm not depressed. Just bored, I guess. 

I'm spending time looking at all the things I have to do and not doing them. When I'm done doing that, I surf the Internet. To avoid confusion, I am doing the bare minimum. The kids are fed. The dishes are getting done most days. We're all wearing clean clothes. I've been sweeping the floor and vacuuming on occasion.

Like last year, I think I'm not drinking enough water or exercising enough. Those two things usually make me feel better overall. They don't, however, mop the kitchen floor or clean the bathroom for me. Sigh.

I don't think it's a sunlight issue. I'm getting more sun than I do in the winter months and I've got the freckles to prove it. We're all outside for large parts of the day on many days.

Maybe it's the way the stars and the moon are aligned.

Or, maybe I just really need the school-year routine to thrive. As much as I look forward to the summer break, I know I'm a routine-oriented gal. 

Whatever it is, I know I'll shake it off soon. At the very least, it'll be gone on the first day of school!


If only the most recent season of Mad Men were on Netflix! I'd kick the kids outside, grab a glass of wine and sink into the armchair with a fan blowing on me to watch. Anyone know if it's out on DVD yet?

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable post. Hum, what does she need?

    LORD, please don't bring her a real problem to teach her gratitutde.

    LORD, please don't bring her an addiction like last summer's "addiction".

    LORD, please keep the sunshine and the joy in her life, one hour at a time. There are men in her family that need her to spark their lives. There are neighbors to visit (how much I would enjoy being her neighbor). There are friends who need her encouragement even as this senior citizen wants to encourage her. There are boys who need a mama to play Monopoly with so they don't develop a video games addiction, and thank you, LORD, that she has this wonderful time to be their mom.

    LORD, may you touch her in special ways this summer and thanks for this lovely post. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just happened upon your blog when I was searching for some cleaning tips, and I love it. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who drowns my funks with TV marathons. It took my carpet cleaners the same amount of time to finish their job as it took me to watch 3 seasons of Leverage. I'm not proud, but I'm also not alone. Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol - Thank you. That actually brought tears to my eyes.

    Sophie - Definitely not alone. I think there are worse things than TV marathons, so I don't feel too badly about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!