Friday, August 10, 2012

Homeowners Do Windows Part II

We fixed the window!

By we, I mean my teenage son and I.

I'm absolutely determined my boys are going to grow up knowing how to do household repairs. Everyone should know this stuff. I can say from experience that it kind of sucks not having any clue how to do home repairs as an adult. It's been a huge learning curve, but while I'm learning, so are my kids!

Fixing the window took just three things. That's it! It can't be any simpler than that!

  • Glazier's Points
  • Glazol (or other glazing compound)
  • Putty knife

Here are a few tips for glazing windows:

Watch a YouTube video. This made all the difference. When I re-glazed my bathroom window, I just followed the directions on the can of glaze. This is okay, but I was all thumbs trying to figure out my own technique. The glaze has held up nicely, but it took a long time to do and it's not that neat. The YouTube pro showed me how to glaze like a, well, pro. I may still be an awkward pro and no one would ever hire me to do this, but I'm much more comfortable with the process. Plus, this window looks a heck of a lot neater than the other one does.

Use Glazier's Points. Our window fell out because their were no points holding it in. Think of these as a little insurance policy for your window. They'll hold your window in place in case the glaze gives out. They're inexpensive and easy to install with a push of the putty knife, so there's no reason to skip this step.

Work with fresh putty. This makes a difference. They give a tip in the video for what to do if your glazing compound has dried out a bit, but until you really have a feel for the right consistency, just buy a new container. Get a small one and seal it tight so it won't dry out in between uses.  

Let the kids do the work, or at least some of it. I glazed. My son glazed. He removed the storm window. He fixed the screen on the storm. He re-installed the storm. I may not know much about parenting, but I do know you've got to let the kids get involved in projects. They like this kind of stuff. Really.

If we were really on the ball, we would have scraped and painted the window frames while the storm window was off. Maybe next time.

You may also be interested in part I of Homeowners do Windows.


6 comments:

  1. So proud of you and the boys. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol! It feels good to have the window back in place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you... You have someone to help you do those stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello really nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely! My guys are very involved with household jobs. Even when they would rather be doing something else, when they see the progress they've made, they're very pleased with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting, Stephen and Anon!

    Lisa - You're always posting great things that your kids helped with on Facebook. You're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!