Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homeowners Do Windows

I neglect our windows and they know it. In a fit of protest, one of them decided to fall out of the frame.

Just like that, we have a missing window. It's a miracle the glass didn't break. Somehow, it managed to nestle itself in between the frame and the mini blinds where it sat, a bit awkward, but unharmed until I discovered it.

This is what happens when you live in a house with older, pre-modern windows. They're good windows, according to the energy audit we had two years ago. However, every now and again, they get a little bored with life and try to make a run for it. I suppose they'd be happier if I spent a few dollars and a few hours on glazing.

With the exception of the bathroom window, I  haven't re-glazed any of our windows. That means they're likely wearing the same coat of putty some handyman dressed them in back in 1965. Some of the glaze is still clinging modestly to the glass, but the rest is being shed bit by bit like clothes on a burlesque dancer. Our windows have no shame. 

Today was the day I was going to put a stop to the reckless behavior. The storm window has been removed, the tub of glaze has been found, and the how-to YouTube video has been watched.

Sounds good, so far, right? The wind was officially taken out of my sails when I discovered our tub of window glaze dried out sometime in the last two years. The fallen window is also missing points, and not just because of its awkward dance moves. If it had a few more glazing points, the glass would be a bit more secure, even when it's undressed.

This means an unplanned trip to the hardware store is in the works. Realistically, anytime I start a home repair project, even if I think I have everything I need, I should just plan on making a trip to the hardware store.

I'll let you know how it goes.

You can find the update here: Homeowners Do Windows Part II.

4 comments:

  1. You inspire me. I need to do some repairs around here. I need to use a caulking gun to put waterproof silicone one place. Maybe you can write on that. You are always so helpful.

    One thing we did do with our home about the same age as yours, is we put energy efficent windows in every where except in the workshop. This gave us a tax credit several years ago.

    Somehow recently because of all the rain, spiders came into our home anyway and we had to have it sprayed inside, with our usual pest control people who come four times a year to spray outside. It wasn't any extra cost to spray inside, because it is part of the package--about $70 quarterly.

    Now I have to figure out how to get softer water with our well system that really should help. I do know about your great lemonade dishwater strategy.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could always be in project mode. There's so much to do! I'm also working on painting our downstairs family room - a project I actually started months ago, but stalled out on. I made some progress today, though!

    I've been wanting to do a post about insects, but I know it wouldn't really apply to folks down south. Our insect problems in the north are minor. I think they can mostly be solved with outdoor yard maintenance. After having lived in NC for a few years, I know that's not the case down south.

    I've caulked my bathtub twice in the 10 years we've lived here. It needs to be done again soon. I'll be sure to blog about it when I do! Caulking is tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make it part of your fall routine. As you are closing the house up and preparing for winter putty your windows (or atleast check the putty) and while you are at it check the seem between the frame and walls (interior and exterior) and caulk if there is a gap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great plan! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!