Thursday, September 20, 2012

Do You Let Yourself be Vulnerable?

Writing for public consumption is vulnerable. Blogging when you know you have more than your mom reading is vulnerable. Submitting articles and stories to magazines is vulnerable.

At least, all that stuff feels vulnerable to me. It took too much time for me to feel comfortable with any of it. I sure wish I'd put myself on the line earlier. I could have had at least a decade more writing experience if I would have just gone for it when I first wanted to.

Because of my first-hand experience with vulnerability through writing, I related to the BlogHer Book Club's latest offering, Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, Ph.D., LMSW.

Brown made me realize that, even though I am being vulnerable with writing, I really do censor myself a lot. I always have, even before I became a writer. When I was a little girl, I was so afraid of doing something wrong I didn't want anyone to look at me, yet I so desperately wanted to be noticed at the same time. I still skate on the edge of that feeling a lot. Writing has been healing in a lot of ways.

Still, I bring myself to the gates of vulnerability through writing often, but I seldom let myself open the gate and go through to the other side. What could I do if I really let myself go when I'm sitting at the computer?

Do you let yourself be vulnerable?

Please join the Daring Greatly discussion at BlogHer.
  
This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could be 100% my true self on my blog, but even my husband doesn't like 100% of the wonder that is me. Sadly, it keeps me guarded. One day, one day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I retired from teaching I wrote a book and was honest in that book. Barb, I want to send it to you if you like and you will see all the times I let my hair down in the book. Good writing includes feelings and vulnerability.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne - It's hard not be be guarded.

    Carol - I'd love to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been a very significant blog indeed. I've acquired a lot of helpful information from your article. Thanks for sharing this article. Keep up your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!