Monday, September 24, 2012

Tip of the Week: Homemade Air Freshener

I've been on a quest to make my home smell good ever since we got back from vacation a few weeks ago. Scented candles and spray air fresheners just don't work for me. I can't help thinking about all the toxins they emit. It's safe to say my relationship with those things is over.

I've been patiently waiting until it was officially fall to try out a homemade recipe guaranteed to make the air smell lovely. It's simmering away on my stove top right now.

Mmm...it smells like applesauce, apple pie and all kinds of yummy fall treats rolled into one.

The recipe:

3 cinnamon sticks (broken in half to fit in my little pot)
1 apple peel
A generous sprinkle of ground cloves
1 1/2 cups of water

Directions:

Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for as long as you like.

For more homemade air freshener recipes, check out the Apartment Therapy's 5 Simmer Pot Recipes to Make Your Home Smell Like Fall




6 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for sharing this guide. I'll try this in my house. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pined it. Really good idea to not have toxins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell this from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It smelled so good, I did it again today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really good idea. I'll try this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried this recently and it works great. The air is nice and fresh again and I just love the apple-and-cinnamon aroma!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!