Thursday, October 18, 2012

Procrastination vs. Me

Today, I'm taking on an old vile enemy - procrastination. We're well acquainted, he and I. We dance around each other with madness in our eyes until one of us throws down the glove, ready to duel.

Sadly, he knows my weaknesses. He plays me like a fool time and again. He entices me with Facebook, Pinterest, a novel, the couch...you get the idea.  He's like a plate of my favorite chocolate sitting on the kitchen counter staring at me every time I walk by. Resistance is futile, even though I know I'm going to feel like crap afterwards.

The evidence he's had his way is all over my house.

There's the air conditioner I took out of my son's bedroom window last week. It's been sitting on the living room floor ever since.

There's the Harry Potter robe I've been working on for my youngest son's Halloween costume. I'm almost done, but the sleeves were giving me trouble, so I set it aside three days ago. I haven't touched it since. Oh...and there's the Draco Malfoy robe I haven't even started yet. 

There's the candle holders that have been sitting on my kitchen counter for months, waiting to be put away in the appropriate place. 
There's the homemade laundry soap kit I bought at the farmers' market over a year ago. Procrastination left it on my kitchen counter. Did I mention he doesn't pick up after himself, either? He's kind of an a**hole. But, I don't have to tell you that, 'cause I bet you know him, too.
Today, procrastination is going down. You see, I know his weaknesses, too. They're ambition, motivation, a good night's sleep, sunny days, and upbeat music on the iPod. I've got all of these in spades.  He's not even getting in the front door.

If you see him hanging around your house, tell him I said to get lost.

9 comments:

  1. Crap. Now you went and reminded me of all the stuff I should be doing now.

    Meh. I still want to read more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mean to induce guilt! If it makes you feel better, the air conditioner is still parked on my living room floor. I decided it was my husband's job to move it - lol.

      Delete
  2. Love how candid and expressive and confessional you are! We all have been there!

    Consider this. I don't do lists so I am not procrastinating! I just have a goal to better organize the house and a system that will work no matter how long it takes (even a year). I am leaving alone stuff that isn't in my project zone (except for washing dishes and laundry.

    As you know, the system I am trying is "The House That Cleans Itself" which you put on your Nook. The physical copy was mailed by media mail, one copy each for you and for the blogger at "Outside the Box". The blogger at Penniless Parenting, it turns out, is also getting the 15th copy. Then we can spur one another on if we choose to! Or you all can watch this old lady with carpel tunnel try to do it.

    Back to folding the laundry and de-cluttering.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good strategy, Carol! I think it's in my genetic code to make lists. Either that or it's a compulsion. I can't stop myself!

      Thanks for sending the book to me. I'm looking forward to it! I'm still making progress, slowly. The bathroom and two of the boys' bedrooms are done. The third one will get done soon.

      Delete
    2. So you aren't procrastinating, just taking a break!.
      +

      Delete
  3. how funny! i too was going to do a blog post on procrastination and thought I 'll just do it later...
    I am you're newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to see a fellow procrastinator here!

      Delete
  4. So many little things awaiting my attention at home. I will have to do something about them now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the little things that get me every time!

      Delete

Thanks!