Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Stomach Virus Strikes Again

We've got one little boy down and out today. My four year old has his first official sick day from school, which he's learning isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds. He'd rather be in preschool than throwing up breakfast, as we all would.

The stomach virus doesn't always spread to the entire family, but it usually does. I'm going to sanitize as best as I can. I've already washed my hands more times in the last two hours than I have all week - and I'm a frequent hand washer anyway. I think it's time to break out the hand lotion before I progress to bleeding dry skin.

Photo courtesy of mensatic at Morguefile.

I've been hearing rumors that sipping grape juice will prevent a stomach virus from taking hold. Memories of my older sister vomiting grape juice all over the breakfast table when we were kids notwithstanding, I'm willing to give this a try. If only we had some grape juice! I'll have to stock up on it the next time I go grocery shopping.

What's the stomach virus protocol in your house?

We spread towels out on the couch, have the sick child recline there, put a "puke pot" on the floor for easy access and let him watch whatever he wants on TV. Today, we've had a change of location because the little guy threw up on the couch, but, lucky for him, he's little and can stretch out in the armchair quite nicely.

I also make the boys chamomile tea whenever they're sick. They sip that all day until my husband buys popsicles at the grocery store on his way home from work. Sick kids always get popsicles in our house. No wonder they don't ask for them any other time. As much as they enjoy them, they probably think of them as sick day food!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I still can't drink grape juice to this day because of Lawrence Weber throwing it up on the school bus in 4th grade. Memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the grape juice theory is busted. It doesn't seem to have a good track record - lol.

      Delete
  2. It is disgusting, isn't it? I have had running nose for almost two weeks now but I simply refuse to go to the doctor. Any ideas how to deal with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get sick this time of year; I need to make a protocol for this:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always get something this time of year, too. My mom told me once that her kids always got sick about 2-3 weeks after school starts. It seems we're carrying on that tradition here!

      Delete
  4. Wish I could post a pic of the 'barf bags' we devised a few years back when one son was saddled with abdominal migraines. (What an odd sentence!) Anyway, they get one of those and when they were younger, they always wanted to lie in my bed. Now, they just kind of hang out wherever they're comfortable. Thank goodness the stomach bugs don't rear their ugly heads here too often! (Knock on wood)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abdominal migraines sound awful! I hope that's all cleared up for him! My kids are most comfortable in front of the TV - lol.

      Delete
  5. Hope you all are on the mend now. What a good mom you are.

    For us seniors, the protocal is get a shot. I learned the hard way last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Carol. All is well now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!