Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Boys in the House: A Changing Perspective

My shoulders slump as I walk into my four-year-old son's room. Something else is broken. Sigh.

We're up to six broken things in here: the front of a dresser drawer, the bracket that holds the curtain rod, the hinge on the door, one of the closet doors, the toy box lid and the wall.

He's not doing it on purpose. It happens because he's four and still trying to figure out the laws of gravity and physics. Luckily, with the exception of the door hinge and the wall, most of the things just need a little wood glue or some better screws. I fixed the holes in the wall by moving the dresser in front of them, so that just leaves the broken door hinge.

"I'm sorry, mommy," he says before he takes off toward the living room, his blonde curls bobbing like the most wild of Tasmanian devils.

I follow him into the living room and find him standing on the coffee table having a light saber duel with Darth Maul, complete with sound effects. "Vshoo Ch Ch Ch." Good thing Darth Maul isn't really here or he'd be in trouble. Nobody beats down a Sith like a four-year-old boy.

"You have to help me clean this up," I say, hoping I can teach him a little responsibility. "If you break something, whether it's a mistake or not, you have to try to fix it." At this point, there's not too much we can do. I have him help me find the screws that popped out of the toy box lid. They're stripped, so it'll take a trip to True Value for new ones. 

When you have kids, your home is like the Myth Busters' lab. Things will be broken.

The toy box just needs some new screws and it'll be fine.

Things will be painted.

Chalkboard paint on the bedroom door is a good idea. Having a 7-year-old boy do it, not so much.

Things will be used for science experiments.

Dust Pan Catapult

You can only hope they're won't be any explosions.

Maybe little girls are gentler on their family home. Perhaps they like to play quietly in ways that don't destroy property. Or, maybe they prefer decorating their bedrooms to swinging from the curtains. 

Least I sound sexist, I will say that my boys like to decorate their bedrooms, too.

To some, a Lego Dementor in a baggie is wall art.

I have to say that my current four year old seems more rambunctious than my other two boys were at that age. When I walk into his bedroom, I see a place of rest: a bed, a bookcase, curtains. When he walks in, he's sees a gymnasium: a trampoline, a climbing wall, a rope swing. It's all a matter of perspective, really.

Maybe if I changed my perspective and actually replaced the typical bedroom trappings with a trampoline, a climbing wall and a rope swing, things wouldn't get broken so often.  It's unconventional, but it could save us a fortune in small home repairs.

14 comments:

  1. So entertaining to read this post! Glad your four-year-old doesn't share his bedroom with his other brothers as my two brothers had to share with each other.

    I grew up with two younger brothers who always seemed to cause problems for my mother. Now they still compete and I play Wordscraper with them on Facebook.

    Enjoy this time! It goes fast!

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol! I know it goes fast. I still can't believe I have a 13 year old. Luckily, he's well past the age of breaking things by mistake - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one really captured my life! Legos and broken sh*t.

    And pee.

    Lots and lots of pee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still in the slightly euphoric phase of realizing that all the pee in our house stays in the bathroom these days. Not necessarily in the toilet, but at least in the bathroom. lol

      Delete
  4. Hi,your cleaning blog is nice, Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me laugh, but just know it's not limited to boys. My two girls do their fair share of destruction :) We've had painted walls, permanent marker on the couch, a giant "H" in pen on the carpet, and of course the kitchen table is a disaster of color. I try to make them help me clean it but sometimes that just makes the situation worse...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing on the walls and furniture deserves it's own blog post. I think the solution is just waiting until they grow out of that phase, then repainting the house - lol.

      Delete
  6. Life with kids, the story that never ends!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth! Luckily, it's a gold mine for blog posts - lol.

      Delete
  7. There is no end to the cleaning list that comes with having young children, as they get older the lego on the floor is replaced for plates and clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little less painful to step on clothes and plates. :)

      Delete
  8. This is great, however as they older the floor is still considered a large shelf for clothes and other junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I know that's true. I remember having clothing all over my floor when I was a teen. I'm sure it drove my mom crazy!

      Delete

Thanks!