Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The First Snowfall


I've come to realize there are two types of people in the world. Those who love the first snowfall and those who hate it. You all know where you stand.

Photo from pdalgarno at Morguefile.

Depending on age, those who love it say things like:

"Yay! I want to play in it right now!"

"I'm going to build the biggest snowman!"

"Snow ball fight!"

"It's so peaceful and beautiful."

"Snow Day! Yay!"


Us lovers of the first snow agree there's nothing quite like it. We know it's what brought Frosty to life. We know there's magic in it. Some of us like to play in it, some like to take the day off from work to go skiing and some of us just like to admire the peaceful blanket that settles on the earth, covering up the leaves that haven't been raked and the outdoor toys that haven't been put away. 

Those who hate it say things like:

"Crap, I haven't put my snow tires on yet."

"I better reschedule my dentist appointment. The roads will be a mess."

"I hate snow!"

"Snow Day! Ugh!"

These are the folks who would like to curl up in a ball and hibernate until spring, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Of course, by April, most of us belong to the snow-haters group. Still, we've at least given snow a chance to win our hearts for another season. And, for a time, it does.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE! The first, the last and all of them in between... If it's going to be cold anyway, we might as well have that beautiful, sparkly white blanket to gaze upon, rather than that dull brown landscape. And of course, you cannot make snow angels with out it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is beautiful when the snow is fresh and it covers everything. I admit I was disappointed today when our snow didn't stick. Not nearly as disappointed as a certain four year old, though!

      Delete
  2. The two years I lived in Minnesota I had to learn about freezing rain, spinning a donut in freezing rain or snow, orange balls on top of car antennas because the snow was piled so high you needed these balls at intersections, plugging your car engine into electricity so your car would start in the morning, and a dog that wouldn't go outside to the bathroom because it was too cold. This is from a gal who moved there from California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the least fun things about winter. Thankfully, we don't get enough snow here typically to need orange balls on our antennas! We also don't usually have to plug our cars in, though where I grew up a few hours north, it was common. I miss that really sharp, biting cold we had up there! It makes 20 degrees seem balmy. :)

      Delete
  3. We don't get proper snows around here. If we get any, it's usually just enough to make slush in the yard, and icy roads. On the rare occasions we get REAL snow, it is always thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Burrows - We lived in North Carolina for a few years. I remember that feeling of our one snowfall being thrilling. It always felt like a miracle! Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Day #1 snow hater here. I like summer. Period. The rest of the seasons can lump it.

    Guess where I want to retire? Hint: NOT Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd skip summer before winter - lol. Hate the heat!

      Delete
  5. Wow...what we would give for some snow! I absolutely love the cold weather and despise summer. Funny...considering I live so far south and winter is just a blink of time in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss winter terribly if I didn't have it at all!

      Delete

Thanks!