Last January I wrote a list of resolutions called 12 Things to Do in 2012. Like all people that make resolutions, I pretty much forgot about the list within weeks, if not days, of writing it.
The new year is looming, if you haven't noticed, and resolutions are on my mind again. Before I make my new list, I thought I'd revisit my old one to either pat myself on the back for the things I did or be publicly humiliated for the things I didn't do.
1. Take a photography class. Done! I took a fantastic class at the local community college last spring, which catapulted an interest in amateur photography. I even bought a fancy new camera and have taken some photos I rather like. As an unexpected bonus, I've sold a few, along with articles I've written, to one of my on-line writing venues.
3. Win the clutter war in the garage once and for all! Major fail. I don't want to talk about it.
4. Write more. I definitely wrote more in 2012 than I have in previous years. I didn't submit more to print magazines. I have a confidence problem in that regard. But, I was a very busy on-line writer. And, I've written an essay I rather like that's ready to send out into the big bad world of magazine publishing. Courage, please!
5. Help organize a community garden at my church. Done! It doesn't matter that only four of us participated. It was the most successful garden I've ever had and I'm looking forward to doing it again in 2013.
6. Hike several times with my family. We went once. And, it wasn't even the whole family. My husband wasn't there. My mother-in-law was, though, so it wasn't a total bust. My four-year-old needed a piggy back ride almost the whole way. After that, I wasn't too eager to lace up my hiking boots again. Maybe next year.
7. Take the family on a "bigger" vacation. Done! When I wrote my resolutions, I was thinking Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. We ended up shooting for the moon. We drove to Florida for a well-planned excursion that we don't regret. I'd do it again. But, not in 2013.
8. Make a quilt. It didn't happen. I'm going to pretend I never wrote that.
9. Make a shower curtain. Done! I even made matching window curtains for the bathroom. Yay me!
10. Go to at least one Hula Fit class to see what it's like. Also, didn't happen. I did, however, follow them on Facebook. But, I don't think that counts. I'm not really all that interested in hula hooping anymore. It was fun when my little guy was entertained by it. He couldn't care less these days. Anyway, I've taken up jogging and that's worth at least twice as many exercise points.
11. Get a new laptop. Done! I don't miss typing on my old Netbook one bit!
12. Go to a writing or blogging conference somewhere. This didn't happen, either. I did, however, take two writing classes at the local community college. I think that was more what I needed, anyway.
Not a bad track record as far as resolutions go. How did you do with your 2012 resolutions?