Monday, January 21, 2013

Bad Habits Die Hard

It started when my kids were little. I was thrilled when they could take their own jackets off and didn't care when they unceremoniously threw them on the floor. Heck, I'm still in this phase with my four year old. He's taking his own coat off! It's one less thing I have to do. I don't care where it ends up. Besides, he's too short to reach the hangers in the hall closet.

Yet, with my older kids, there never seemed to be a moment where they became responsible for their own jackets. They walk in the door and throw their jackets on the floor. The bad habit was set. For the record, at 8 and 13, they are both tall enough to reach the hangers.

Sadly, my husband is right there with them. That's embarrassing to admit. Though, I will say he doesn't throw his in the middle of the floor. He tucks it away in an unobtrusive place - the newspaper basket. The problem is, it's still on the floor. Our coats don't go there. They go in the closet. How are the boys supposed to learn to hang their coats up when their male roll model can't be bothered?

A couple of weeks ago, I made it my mission to break this bad habit and a few other ones that my crew of wild boys have.

In all honesty, I had a little melt down after a busy day. When we walked in the door after a family outing, I promptly stood in front of the closet and hung up my coat. The four other people that live in this house whipped theirs off and promptly threw them on the floor. Ugh! I somewhat loudly announced that anyone that's throwing their coat on the floor can forget about getting dinner. If you want to eat, you need to hang your coat up. Sounds fair, right?

Since then, I've been persistently reminding the boys to hang their coats up. And, you know what? They're doing it. Even the little guy is handing me his coat instead of throwing it on the floor.

But, you know what else? My husband still is NOT doing it. He's not putting his jacket in the newspaper basket anymore. He's hanging it off the foosball table in our downstairs family room!

I'm at a loss.

18 comments:

  1. When they were little, I installed hooks at their level so they could be responsible for their coats. They did it at pre-school, so I figured they could do it at home too. My husband is another story. The coat usually ends up hanging on the back of a kitchen chair. BTW...the hooks (at several different levels) are right next to the back door. I guess I should put them in a more convenient spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but do they use them, Lisa? I've thought about hooks downstairs, but I think it would just attract clutter in that area.

      Delete
  2. We're an across-the-board failure as a family when it comes to hanging coats. I had hooks installed and their only purpose is to hold out-of-season coats. Come join us. Less aggravation. (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't join you, Marianne. As lovely as it sounds to just let it go, hanging coats up is one of those things I'm anal about. I don't know why. Maybe it's become a battle of wills between my husband and I - lol.

      Delete
  3. That's good to hear. Maybe there is hope for us. My husband is actually really good at hanging his coat up. The children, not at all. And there are four of them (can't really blame the 1 year old though). I keep two rows of coat hooks. One up high for the big people and one down low for the little people. But I find myself wading through a river of winter coats wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have done hooks on the wall when the kids were younger. I'm sure they'd be overflowing with snow pants, winter coats, and extra sweatshirts in my house, though!

      Delete
  4. Oh me, oh my! I am the one here. I am likely to put my sweater on the back of a dining room table chair. Hubby, on the other hand, is so much better at putting his jackets away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he can teach my husband how to hang his coat - lol.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for some progress, what if you take your husband's coat and hide it and when if he asks several times where it is and you respond not where it belongs maybe he will get the hint?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Good idea! I'm not sure that would work on him, though. He'd probably walk out of the house without a coat rather than look for it.

      Delete
  6. Good lord, I do feel for you. You married a Hacker, there's no doubt about that. If you want to know pain, ask Mina how she deals with the write-off that is their basement and garage. No one can enter those spaces anymore for fear they might get swallowed, never to be seen again. I'm sure Greg could learn to hang his own coat. Maybe if you waterboard him with it one night while he's sleeping...? Just a thought. Just kidding. I'm terrible at advice.
    xx
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha - Waterboarding him with it...I hadn't thought of that - lol! It might just work!

      Delete
  7. Just found you blog and I'm going through the same issue. Hubby takes off his shoes and leaves them right by the door, takes his coat and throws it on the floor along with his work clothes ...apparently I'm a "nag" when I ask him to pick it up :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Infогmativе article, exactlу what I wаnted to finԁ.


    My site toilet flooding clean up
    Here is my webpage : toilet flooding clean up

    ReplyDelete
  9. ӏ’m not that much οf a online reader tо be honest
    but your siteѕ really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. Many thanks

    Also visit my blog; wall faced toilets
    Here is my web blog - cat toilet training

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gгeat itеms from yοu, man. I have
    taκe into aсcount your stuff pгevious to
    and you are ѕimply too fаntаstіс.
    I reаllу lіkе whаt you've acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the best way by which you are saying it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to stay it smart. I can not wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a great website.

    Review my blog; toilet paper
    Also visit my weblog ; toilet bowl

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a ѕtuff of un-аmbiguіty and
    ρrеserveness of ргeсiouѕ κnowledge on the topic of
    unpredicteԁ emotions.

    Ηere is my web-ѕіte chemical camp toilet
    My weblog - chemical toilet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!