Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Day Was So Last Month

When you write, whether it's for websites or print magazines, you're not writing for the moment. You need to be ahead of the curve, or rather, the calendar. It makes sense, if you think about it. Websites and magazines want their articles to be timely. That means they have to be submitted well ahead of the actual holidays.

Last month, I was thinking romantic thoughts so I could write Valentine's Day articles for Holidays Central. This month, as we bear down on actual Valentine's Day, I've moved on to St. Patrick's Day.

Part of my writing responsibilities involve getting crafty with my kids, taking pictures of our projects, and writing up how-to articles on what we did. Today's craft was a bit of a miss for my five year old.

Here's my rainbow and pot of gold project.  This is what it's supposed to look like:

Rainbow with Pot of Gold

Here's his:

Rainbow with Elmer's Glue
Luckily, my crafting abilities are such that most things I make look like they were done by a 7 or 8-year-old kid anyway. I think this St. Paddy's day craft still qualifies for the Kids and Crafts category, though my little guy may have been a bit too little to pull it off. Or, perhaps he was more interested in eating the cereal than gluing it to paper. Fruit Loops are a rare treat in this house.

Speaking of writing for upcoming seasons, a craft article I sold to Highlight's for Children almost THREE years ago is going to print this summer!  Look for it in the July issue!  If you don't get Highlight's for Children, you can usually find it at your local library.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  

8 comments:

  1. We get Highlight's!!! Can't wait to see it - how awesome is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated Happy Valentines Day, then, Barb, and Happy
    St. Patrick's Day. Love both St. Patrick's Day pictures. You could use extra Valentines candy for it!!

    Pennies and chocolate kisses to you all!
    Carol








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Yes, it would be a great way to use up extra Valentine's candy, if we didn't eat it all - lol.

      Delete
  3. I am really impressed with your writing skills and
    also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did
    you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the
    nice quality writing, it's rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.

    My weblog :: see this great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation however I find this matter to be really something that I feel
    I'd never understand. It seems too complex and very huge for me. I am taking a look ahead to your subsequent publish, I'll attempt to get the hold
    of it!
    Also see my website > warz hacks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ηi there mates, pleasant post аnd pleasаnt urging commenteԁ at
    thiѕ plaсe, I am genuinеly
    еnjοying by these.

    Fеel free to visіt mу webpage: Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Нi, i thinκ that i ѕaw уou visitеԁ my ωеb site so i came
    to “return thе favor”.I'm trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    my blog: augen lasern

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!