Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Want My Mommy

Sometimes, no matter how old you are, you just want your mom.

The older you get, the more you realize life is all about change. When the changes are drastic, you want to crawl back to your mom and, well, be mothered.  Even when you're a mother yourself, it's nice to have your own mother tell you everything is going to be okay and mean it.

I realize I'm fortunate to still have my mom. I no longer have my dad and haven't for some time. I'm truly blessed to have a wonderful mom who not only turned the other cheek when I was a rotten teenager, but has, through the years, remained a non-judgmental source of support for me.

The boys and I are making the 5-hour drive up north in a few weeks to see her. I can't wait.

I haven't been the best daughter. I haven't visited as much as I should have. I'm vowing to change this year. There are no more excuses. I'm planning on heading north frequently this spring, summer and fall.

I've been homesick for quite some time, though I haven't been indulging in it like I was last fall. I'm anxious to get up there again, sleep in my mom's house and show the boys around my hometown. Somehow, life seems simpler in the tiny village of Hermon. I know it's not really. But, I can pretend while I'm there, right?

3 comments:

  1. So wonderful to cherish her while you have her. My parents are long gone, but I am returning from an extended weekend at my brother's house. My sister-in-law is like a sister to me. I loved being with their grandchildren as well. All we do with texting, e-mail and phone calls just can't replace that person-to-person time.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Carol
    Who "adopted" you as a niece

    ReplyDelete
  2. this article really touched me i moved away from home at a young age and only got to see my folks due to geography once a year since then my mam has died and my dad is suffering from dementia i regret the fact that i could have spent more time with them they were truly great parents so the truth is hold them close while they are around

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so lucky to have such a great mother-in-law. I can see her any time and she is the best! Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am! In fact I think I will call her now

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!