Friday, March 8, 2013

Run Run Run

I'm newly in love with running. To all of you that are not runners, I apologize for this post. I know how irritating it is to read about running when you are not into it. I've been there. I swore for years that I would never and could never be a runner.

I honestly don't know how it happened. Maybe it was all the Facebook posts of my friends and relatives who are runners that slowly worked on my subconscious. Maybe it was seeing my son and his soccer team do corner sprints at practice last fall and remembering how good it felt to be that fit when I was 13. Maybe I just needed something to get my mind off all the crap that's been weighing heavily on me these days.

However I got here, I laced up my running sneakers in September and am loving it so much I signed up for a half marathon. I've got until Labor Day to train enough to make it possible. The cool thing is, I really think I can do it. I know I can do it. The other cool thing is, I talked my sister into doing it with me!

I've got a training schedule posted on my fridge. I'm on week 3. Tomorrow's goal is 6 miles.

I'm not following it exactly, but I'm trying to hit the Saturday mileage each week. So far, so good.

I don't remember the website where I found this handy little chart, otherwise I'd include the link. I'm actually running a bit more during the week than the chart recommends, but I'm definitely including rest days, even when I don't want to! I know they're important. And, of course, with three boys, they can't be helped anyway. Sometimes the scheduling just doesn't work out to include running time!

Today, we have a snow day. I could run anytime, but I'm waiting until it warms up a bit this afternoon so the roads will be clearer.

Spring is coming soon, right? The only thing that could possibly make this better is not having to run on slippery roads wearing winter gear!




10 comments:

  1. I love how you were able to get that done. I had to hire a professional cleaning services wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Valjean, why would Barb want a professional cleaning service in Wyoming?! Did she use a professional cleaning service to run for her? You guys that post on this lovely blog without thinking make me mad.

      Delete
  2. When I іnitially left а cоmment I seеm to have clicked the -Nοtifу me ωhen new comments arе addеԁ- cheсkbox and from now on each
    time а сomment is addеd I гecіeνе 4 emails with thе same cоmmеnt.
    Iѕ there a meаns you can гemove me
    frоm that seгѵiсе?
    Αppreciatе іt! click through the next site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this message will get to your four times. Annoymous, work it out with Google. Barb has no way of correcting what you checked. Just be more careful. She will have to go back to the horrors of having to approve every single comment on this blog. Ridiculous!

      How about a real name and encouragement for my friend instead?!

      Signed,
      Concerned senior citizen/caregiver

      Delete
    2. Carol - Thank you! Every now and again the spammers find me. This time, I haven't been paying much attention, so they've had free reign. I think I'm going to have to change my settings for now. Once they settle down, I'll change back.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Blogger down! Blogger down! Another one lost to RUNNING of all things!

    Just kidding. Good for you and I'm looking for your kind of ambition in pill form. Let me know if you find it. (:

    xoxo Mar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come over to the dark side, Marianne. We have guilt-free ice cream. :)

      Delete

Thanks!